Gowanus Dredgers Oath
We will fight for the ideals and sacred things of the waterfront, both alone and with many.
We will revere and obey the waterfront's laws and do our best to include a like respect and reverence in those above us who are prone to annul or set them at naught.
We will strive unceasingly to quicken the public's sense of civic duty.
Thus, in all these ways, we will transmit this estuary, not only less, but greater, better and more beautiful than it was transmitted to us.
Adaptation of the Oath of the Athenian Youth
Code of Conduct
Adopted by the Board of Directors, July 19, 2011
Persons affiliated with the Gowanus Dredgers Canoe Club, as officers, members, volunteers or participants in committees, programs, activities, events or in any capacity are expected to abide by the following code of conduct.
- Represent the organization with professionalism, dignity and pride, and be responsible for conducting ourselves with courtesy and appropriate behavior at all times.
- Display respect and courtesy at all times for officers, members, volunteers, program participants, visitors and guests.
- Act as stewards of GDCC and Activity Committee facilities and equipment, by treating it with care on and off the water and abiding with requirements as set forth by the GDCC and Activity Committee Chairs with respect to use of facilities and equipment.
- Promote safety on and off the water at all times, by following the rules and directives set forth by officers and event coordinators with regard to programs, activities and events, as well as the regulations of the USCG and NYC Harbor Police and general navigation and weather-related guidelines.
- Respect the privacy of persons served by the organization and hold in confidence sensitive, private and personal information.